2011-04-03

In the beginning...

Having grown up in Drammen, Norway, with the wonderful Aass Brewery so magnificently positioned by the river, I have always been fascinated by beer. Therefore, it came as no surprise that, once I had forced myself to drink quite a bit of the amber liquid in my teens, beer became my favourite drink.

Now, almost 25 years later, I have long since left Drammen for a country where the beer is much cheaper, though not always better: Germany. In my humble opinion, Germany is easily the best country in the world for beer lovers. Not only is Germany home to a staggering 1300+ breweries, it also has the world's oldest breweries, arguably the best beer, the biggest beer festivals and - also arguably - the best beer culture. Whilst I appreciate that other countries are strong contenders in many of these categories - Belgium, the Czech Republic and Britain, for example - I find that Germany trumps them all.

This blog is about German beer, breweries, and the never-ending quest to taste them all. Occasionally, I shall also comment on non-German beers, and provide heavily biased opinions on issues such as enormous brewery conglomerates (bad), independent family-owned traditional breweries (good), and the weather (varying).

Hopefully this will entertain both readers who stumble upon my ramblings and myself. We shall see.

1 comment:

  1. As it happens, I have come across the Dark Stout made by the Aass brewery mentioned in the blog. This beer tops most of the German species I have tasted, but then again, I have not tried that many.
    Pater Bloggus

    ReplyDelete